The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recalled batches of children’s blackcurrant cough syrup from eight own-brand products after safety concerns were raised.
The regulator urged people to check their bottle of syrup after a problem with one of the ingredients in the medicine was identified. The MHRA said the issue could “allow mould to grow.”
The MHRA said: “There is a low risk that the mould could make the child unwell or cause a reaction, although to date we are not aware of any cases where this has happened. As a precaution it has been decided to recall affected batches.”
Dr Sam Atkinson, the MHRA’s director of the inspection, enforcement and standards division, said: “Check if you have any of the listed cough syrups and if you do, please don’t use them. Take them back to where you bought them from. The mould is not always visible, so return any of the affected cough syrup bottles, even if it looks okay to use.
“If your child has recently taken one of these cough syrups, and, in the unlikely event that they have become unwell or had a reaction, please speak to your GP, pharmacist or other healthcare professional.
“Our highest priority is making sure the medicines you and your family take are safe. This is why, even though there is a low risk of a reaction, we have asked the company to carry out this recall and why we want people to check their medicine cabinets.
“As with any medicine, we strongly encourage anyone to report any suspected side effects to us via our Yellow Card Scheme.”
The affected batches are;
- Asda Children’s Dry Cough Syrup Glycerol Blackcurrant Flavour, batch number: 274V1, 276V1, 278V1, 283W1; expiry dates 27/09/2017, 31/10/2017, 02/01/2018, 19/02/2018.
- Bell’s Healthcare Children’s Dry Cough Glycerin 0.75g/5ml Syrup, 280V3; exp 04/01/2018.
- Morrisons Children’s Dry Tickly Cough Glycerin 0.75g/5ml Oral Solution, 282W1; exp 30/01/2018.
- Numark Children’s Dry Cough 0.75 g/5 ml Oral Solution, 280V1, 288W1; exp 04/01/2018, 27/04/2018.
- Sainsbury’s Children’s Dry Cough 0.75g/5ml Syrup, 275V1; exp 11/10/2017.
- Superdrug Children’s Dry Tickly Cough Glycerin 0.75 g/5 ml Oral Solution, 280V2, 284W1; exp 04/01/2018, 24/03/2018.
- Tesco Children’s Dry Cough Syrup, 277V1, 278V2, 281W1; exp 31/10/2017, 02/01/2018, 30/01/2018.
- Wilko Tickly Cough 0.75g/5ml Oral Solution, 275V2; exp 11/10/2017.