Centre for Pharmacy PostGraduate Education (CPPE) has announced the launch of a new learning programme, Preparing to train as an independent prescriber.
The programme aims to build the confidence and competence of pharmacists who are planning to apply and train as independent prescribers and is open to pharmacists from all sectors of practice, including community pharmacists who are planning to commence their independent prescriber training with a Higher Education Institute (HEI).
The course is made up of four main components, including a self-directed e-course and self-assessment framework, a mandatory online workshop to support you to review your self-assessment of competencies, an optional online workshop to support your readiness for academic writing and reflective practice, and optional peer support sessions, providing the opportunity for you to develop your professional network and establish communities of practice.
The different topic areas in this programme will support to:
- describe how pharmacists knowledge, skills and experience have evolved since their initial training as a pharmacist?
- recognise their strengths and transferable skills which can build on that are relevant to their independent prescribing training
- identify their learning needs, and the resources and learning opportunities to enable to meet them
- develop their skills as a reflective practitioner and apply these to their practice
- build a powerful personal and professional support network to support them during their independent prescribing training and ongoing prescribing practice
- create a personal development plan for their short, medium and longer-term development needs to prepare for undertaking an independent prescribing course.
Pharmacists who are planning to apply and/or start their independent prescriber training can apply to take part.
The Preparing to train as an independent prescriber learning programme will launch on 12th September. Pharmacists will need to book onto one of the mandatory online workshops to guarantee their place and gain access to the e-course.
The two workshop dates available for this pilot cohort are Thursday (21 September) 7-9pm and Monday (23 October) 7-9pm.