Northern Ireland Health Minister Mike Nesbitt has resigned on Wednesday (19) after a row with his Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) leader Jon Burrows over the future of a hospital.
Nesbitt's shock move comes following a clash over Northern Trust's proposal to withdraw emergency general surgery services from Causeway Hospital in Coleraine, County Derry.
The proposal was put to Mike Nesbitt for approval, sparking a row with his party leader Jon Burrows, who made a public statement opposing the closure.
Burrows last week said during a public event that he did not support the removal of emergency general surgery from Causeway Hospital.
Nesbitt was unable to attend last week's meeting on the hospital issue due to other engagements.
Burrows attended the meeting in his place and voiced opposition to the closure of the EGS service.
In his resignation letter released on some social media platforms, Nesbitt said that when Burrows became party leader, he told him his "one 'red line'" was puberty blockers and his "opposition to Northern Ireland participating in the Pathways trial".
Nesbitt said the party leader had now "introduced a second red line" regarding the EGS at Causeway Hospital.
"I am not the sort of minister who is happy to discover the leader's views of issues under my purview by having to monitoring the media."
After the resignation, Burrows said Nesbitt took his ministerial position "with seriousness, integrity and a determination" and said the direction he set would continue.
A UUP spokesperson thanked Nesbitt for his services and for the leadership he has given to health and social care workforce.




